Sunday, June 22, 2014

Shock Culinary Culture in Sundanese Land

Kumaha damang? This is one of sentence the local language of sundanese which mean “How are u?” so how to answer “fine” in sundanese? It is “sae” similar with javanese language. The different is the way to ask “piye kabare?” or “pripun kabaripun?”. There is one sample of difference and the the similarity of two local laguage, do I had any obstacle? The answer is “yes” and “no”. Yes, because it is new for me. No, because I believe I can adapting and learning fastly. Now, the second one is about the culinary. I got abit shock when I buy food in the food store.


Here is my story:

1.       Kupat Tahu : The food which combination of tofu and ketupat (the rice inside of coconut leaf) topping with paste which consist of grinded peanut, water, and some seasoning. In java, when i met this, generally it was combined with other vegetable whether cabbage or bean sprouts. But here, “Kupat Tahu” means only kupat and tahu (with the paste). That’s it! No more topping. Don’t ask me why?!


2.       Seblak : A second, this food resemble with spaghetti Italy. But don’t shock if apparently it made from usual noodle and raw chips. Even the texture is not much better than the instant noodle. How about the taste? Salty and hot. In fact, the sundanese people them selves, who are my office friends. They say better not choosing this for their lunch. (What?) is this your traditional food? Isn’t it? Then they aswer “no”. It is new food here, it came several years ago, less than 10 years. (ohh my gosh..). But could be one day I will try again for another seblak with taste good only (or, there is no more better food to be chosen, wekekek) ..



3.       Chicken Pourage : Nothing special with Chicken pourage here, just like the other place it is consist of pourage, pieces of chicken, seasoning, fried soybean, and fried chips. But the extraordinary is, alot of the  chicken pourage seller spread around here. So, the conclusion is Sundanese people love chicken pourage as well as javanese people love soto. By the way, I do not eat “soto” yet! Soto is very rare in here. I miss it so much.. :)


4.       Lencak (Leunca)
It is kind of vegetable but looks like raw coffee. It must be eaten in the raw condition, such as when we eat cabbage, cucumber, kemangi, and lettuce. Eventhough sometimes mixed into the food. Obviously, It is new vegetable for me. I never see this before in my city. What is the taste? Unique and weird. I think it just because I never try it before. Anyway, it still much better than petai and jengkol. Hahaha. Oya, there is another vegetable the taste n athe smell is unique such as kemangi or mint leaf, but I forget the name. (oops sorry) . next time I will discuss about it.
5.       Chicken Soup
Last but not least, this is the most delicious instead what I mentioned above, but the most unfriendly for my pocket for this temporary, haha. If you ask the Sundanese about soup, you will not find the soup like Javanese have. Javanese soup mostly consist of carrots, cabbages, potatoes, and the seasoning. If Javanese want to add something to make it special, people will add pieces of chicken or the part of meat with the vegetable still remained. It means vegetable is the basic ingredients. But here, almost you can’t find vegetable into your soup. You will only got chicken, cow meat, or goat meat with water and seasoning surely. Depends of what you order.



Ok! This is my few review about the culinary of Sundanese. I must finist it now, and inshala I will write my other impression about the other incredible culinary here. Now, i will focus to write opinion for  the local printing media. See you next time, guys.. Keep eating healthy food! Cao..


1 comments: